Marketing & Events Coordinator
Submissions due March 18
Part-Time, Hourly: Averaging 15-20 hours per week
Pay: Commensurate with experience, $16-$18 per hour
Reports To: Executive Director
Location: Creasey Mahan Nature Preserve, 12501 Harmony Landing Rd, Goshen, KY 40026
Web Site: www.KYNaturePreserve.org
Submissions Due March 18: Info@KYNaturePreserve.org
ABOUT CREASEY MAHAN NATURE PRESERVE
Are you creative, flexible, organized, and comfortable outdoors? Creasey Mahan Nature Preserve (“CMNP”) is an exceptional place to work (if you can call it that).
We have created a new and exciting role of the Marketing & Events Coordinator. The position will coordinate the marketing efforts and events at its 170-acre family-friendly scenic destination in Goshen, Kentucky. As a public charity with 50,000 visitors annually, this role will be an important part of our team.
There is much to promote at our special spot on the planet. Established in 1975, CMNP is open every day of the year from dawn to dusk, free of charge. As a public charity that serves the entire region, we offer 9.5 miles of trails through woods and grasslands, a 2-acre native wildflower and fern Woodland Garden, year-round springs and creeks, an ADA-accessible Forest Friends Playground, and recreational fields. Creasey Mahan has Mahan Manor and a Springhouse over 200 years old, along with the Mahan Branch of the Oldham County Public Library, and the City of Goshen’s Harmony Park Playground.
Five years ago, Thrive Forest School launched as Kentucky’s first full-time outdoor preschool (and was just featured nationally in USA TODAY. This has grown to offer programming for children ages 1-12 with Thrive Acorns and Afternoon Adventurers.
Pre-pandemic, annual community events were offered: The Great Backyard Bird Count, Wildflower Saturdays, Thrive Family Hikes, Family Fun Day, Volunteer BBQ, The Haunted Hike, and the Nature of Christmas in Goshen. Since 2019 (in-person and virtually), our large fundraising gala, The Butterfly Ball, has been a grand success.
The Marketing & Events Coordinator will promote CMNP’s mission and vision, plan and execute events, raise awareness in the community, encourage sponsorships by local businesses, and provide marketing and promotional support for Creasey Mahan Nature Preserve and the innovative Thrive Forest School programming.
The candidate will enjoy –
- Juggling projects and people and keeping tabs on lots of details while not getting ruffled.
- Successfully managing private and community-wide events. In year one, there will be a minimum of 4 to 7 events, often held on weekends.
- Creating e-newsletters and posting across social media platforms, including generating photos and graphics.
- Coordinating volunteers to help with events and other volunteer-led activities.
- Developing relationships with local media sources/outlets and performing community outreach and raising awareness. This may involve tours, presentations, and visits.
- Recruiting new event sponsors and in-kind donation relationships.
- Working with the Executive Director to develop print and online targeted appeals directed at local donors and prospects.
- Creating and soliciting packaged experiences, gift cards, and items for auctions.
Creasey Mahan Nature Preserve is a “family” setting, where everyone helps each other, and employees work with great care and consideration of the Preserve and its visitors. CMNP offers a flexible and positive work environment in a scenic location.
We are interested in hiring a true people-oriented team-player with excellent communication skills, who will work well with others, including the board of directors, and volunteers.
Do you like fundraising, building community, children and their families, gardening, hiking, birds, dogs, and native wildflowers? Awesome!
Knowledge, Skills, and Talents –
We admit that if you could do ALL of the below, you might be a robot. We are seeking a real human, we promise, so if you have most of these skills, please apply.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, along with excellent planning and organizational skills.
- A minimum of three years of successful hospitality industry experience and/or event planning for nonprofits.
- You must love details, like tracking sponsors, ticket holders and payments, and auction items (along with taking photos, writing descriptions, keeping track of donors).
- Must be comfortable working in databases and proficient with Excel, Word, Constant Contact or MailChimp.
- At least one year’s experience professionally posting and working on social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, TikTok, etc.
- Since the position will oversee events, the candidate must be willing to work non-standard hours on weekends, some evenings and/or mornings.
- Some graphical design experience making event or calls-to-volunteer flyers.
Physical Requirements –
- This position may require the ability to lift objects of at least 25 pounds in weight.
- Physical requirements will vary depending upon the specific duties to be accomplished, with much walking, often on uneven ground (bumpy fields or trails) for extended periods of time. The position may require strenuous outdoor work in high heat and humidity as well as in cold temperatures, in rain, snow and other inclement weather conditions.
- The employee must be able to operate and have access to a vehicle for work-related in-state travel. Will be required to attend weekend, evening, or morning events on behalf of CMNP.
Gold Stars for –
- A college degree and a curiosity to continue learning.
- Being familiar with OneCause (aka BidPal) and/or Network for Good.
- Experienced using Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and/or other design programs like Canva.
- Nature-related experience or studies.
Submit the following electronically to Info@KYNaturePreserve.org by Friday, March 18, 2022. In the subject line please type “Marketing & Events Coordinator.” Please give us two weeks to review materials and we will reply to every submission.
Please email the following items to Info@KYNaturePreserve.org –
- A one-page cover letter, to show your interest and why you would be excellent at this position.
- A resume.
** The candidate must successfully pass a background check (conducted and paid for by CMNP) as part of an official offer.
Equal Employment Opportunity – Creasey Mahan provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap or disability.
Americans with Disabilities Act – Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential duties & responsibilities either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.
Thank you and good luck!